Re-imagine DemocracyGet Tickets
WHENAdd to Calendar
About the Organiserprofile website facebook twitter Contact Organiser
About the Event
Imagine a country where decisions are honestly made, transparent and accountable, where outcomes cannot be bought or manipulated and where policy-making processes enhance democratic participation and connection.
This all day conference organised by the Open Government Network will explore:
- Freedom of information, accountability and the public’s right to know. Would more open government have prevented RHI, SIF and NAMA?
- Democratic Ownership. Is democracy being subverted by dark money - the undisclosed funding of organisations involved in public advocacy?
- Anti-corruption. Will improving transparency around beneficial ownership help prevent tax evasion, money laundering and corruption?
- Environmental protection. As climate change threatens the very existence of life on earth, how can the UK contribute to efforts to avoid global disaster?
- Making power responsive to citizens’ hopes and needs. What’s the future for open government and democracy?
Contributors will include:
- Mandy McAuley, BBC NI Spotlight
- Peter Geoghegan, OpenDemocracy
- Alex Cobham, Tax Justice Network
- Robin Hodess, Transparency International
- Peter Osborne, Community Relations Council (Chair)
Morning refreshments and lunch will be provided.